Posted by Johner
on September 13, 2000 at 22:03:33:
1.If you think you have ADD get tested by a specialist. There is no harm in getting tested!
2. There is nothing wrong with taking prescribed medication, it is like wearning glasses to correct vision.
A decision to take medication should be based on scientific facts rather than rational gossip.
3. Educate, educate, educate- ADD is not a part of you it IS you, don't waste time with self improvment
books just yet. Learn all you can about ADD. I recommend "answers to distraction" and "driven to
4. Do not listen to the rumour mill about anything involing ADD, ask your specialist about everything you
want to know and tell him/her your needs. ASK QUESTIONS!
5. If you are not satisfied or you want a second opinion get tested by another specialist. Most importantly
continue to voice your concerns.
6. Handle advice responsibly, don't do anything potentially harmfull that you may have read about
without consulting a specialist. There is no harm in listening, listen and ask a specialist about what you
7. If you have never been tested for any learning disablilites get tested! If you have been tested at any
time but you still feel you have a problem get tested! Believe me testing fails ESPECIALLY when done
by a school!
8. Teachers are NOT QUALIFIED to diagnose or recognize ADD in any case!!!!
I really hope this helps!