Posted by Harry
on April 11, 2000 at 00:36:14:
In Reply to: Wilderness first aid for a severe allergy to bee stings posted by Joe on April 10, 2000 at 21:20:38:
: I am a poor college kid who spends a lot of time in the woods far away from any emergency health care. I am severly allegic to bee stings, and I carry an Epi pen, but I am looking for more information on what I should do I should get stung and am in a life threatening situation unable to recieve care. If anyone could either give me some info, or point me in the right directon of where to look for help I would greatly appreciate it.
My son use to be extremely sensitive to all types of stings and bites.This began when he was about 13 years old,in the Boy Scouts, on a camping trip and was stung by 5or 6 yellow jackets.He became so sensitive that a mosquito bite would make a whelp about the size of a half-dollar.A bee sting on a finger, although not life threatening, would make his arm swell all the way to his shoulder.
I became interested in Homeopathy later (7or 8years) and we used a Remedy ---Ledum -liguid tincture to treat any bite for years.Just dob it on the bite ASAP. Becoming more confident over the years, we decided to de-sensitize him when he was about 18 years old and it significantly reduced his sensitivities. I used 2 doses of Apis Mellifica 1000X potency 2 weeks apart. But, we tryed lower potencies first to make sure he did not have bad reactions.
This method by todays standards is cheap about $25. If you feel uncomfortable doing this---I suggest you see a Homeopath. I am a layman and there were no Homeopaths within 300 miles.
Later in life my son ran a Yard Care Business for 5 years and was stung and bitten by many critters during that time.He carried Ledum with him always and used it when needed.But, his sensitivity is not even near what it was earlier. I hope this helps.