Posted by Donna
on June 15, 2000 at 16:55:38:
In Reply to: reaction to house posted by ronni h on June 15, 2000 at 13:35:28:
: I hop someone out there will be able to shed light on a terrible problem. Six months ago we bought a 12-year old house which backs to a wetlands area. Within 24 hours of moving in we all were gagging and coughing and could hardly breath right. We removed the carpeting, but a strange "fruity sweet" odor remains, which we smelled on the slab as we removed the carpet. Upstatirs, the flooring is pressboard. We laid Armstrong tiles downstairs and upstairs, but we are still all gagging quite a bit, and although none of us have ever had asthma, we are all very "tight" when we breath. When we tried to use the central heat in the winter, we all became so much worse that we had to use electric space heaters all winter (we nearly froze). We still cannot use the vent ducts, because our symptoms are so much worse when we do. We sunk all our money into this house, we do not know what to do next. If anyone could have a suggestion or a similar experience we would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, any suggestions would be great.
Ronni, I am very very sorry to hear your story, as I have a similar problem with my house. I am very allergic to mold, and at certain times of the year, which I suppose are wetter than others, I feel awful and have chronic sinus trouble. We have taken the back bathroom apart piece by piece looking for a leak because it smells so moldy, but have found nothing. We also had a plumber come out and survey for a foundation leak. As of yet, all we have is the smell of mold, but we cannot find it. We did find mold on the outside of our house so my husband poured Clorox around the foundation on the outside. I am sorry for you, as I know there would be no way I could live in a house in as wet an area as you are describing. Good luck, and God Bless.