It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Message Board
THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. TO SEE OUR ACTIVE MESSAGE BOARDS, PLEASE GO HERE





Message
Posted by Wayne Reynolds on July 04, 2000 at 18:52:52:

In Reply to: Re: Itching like a mad woman posted by p-latex@juno.com on March 18, 2000 at 22:13:50:

About 3 years ago, I developed a mild allergy to fresh pitted fruits. Eating them will cause my mouth and lips to itch, combined with a mild burning sensation. Recently the symptoms have worsened to include minor esophageal swelling. To date, I have not suffered from any allergies; i.e. hay fever, pet dander/fur, etc. I do not have any adverse reactions to pitted fruit that has been cooked or processed (fruit roll-ups, jams, etc.). I have tried fresh organic raised pitted fruit, thinking the pesticides used might be causing some of the problem. However, I still have the same reaction. I have concluded that something in the fresh fruit that is common between all pitted fruit is what is causing the allergic reaction. I read your information on birch allergies, and although I have not seen a professional allergist, I have not noticed any pollen-types of allergies in the past.

My question is:

1) How common is this kind of allergy?
2) What causes the on-set of this allergy? I used to eat pitted fruit constantly without any reaction to it.
3) Is there anything I can do to stop the allergic reaction? I love fresh pitted fruits and it kills me to think I have to abandon them forever.
4) Why would the allergic symptoms be getting worse over time? It used to be just a mild itch feeling a couple years ago. Now, I noticed a mild swelling/tightness in my throat.

Any information or direction you can provide would be most helpful. Thank you.

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!