Posted by nicole
on September 05, 2000 at 16:38:50:
In Reply to: Re: Facial / Lip Swelling posted by susan on July 22, 2000 at 13:21:05:
::: I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in this weird phenomenon. I'm 22 years old and seem to be having a relapse in having major allergic reactions to a lot of things. When I was in second grade I had a severe allergic reaction to food coloring, particularly Red No. 5. Then it went away in a couple of years, although I am still allergic to the usual things like cats, pollen, etc. And lately in the past 6 months I have become very sensitive to random things that I can't pinpoint. A certain type of leather that I was wearing on a necklace, heat rash after a day in the sun, and lately I have a feeling that waking up with a HUGE SWOLLEN lip in the middle of the night was from pesticides on a necktarine or the nectarine itself. I don't know cause I have stayed away from the two since then. Just 2 days ago, I was at a friend's house who has a dog which I've been exposed to a lot of times before, but started feeling tingly on the upper part of my lip and then the thing started swelling up. I immediately showered and then took 3 Benedryl and then basically was a zombie for the rest of the day. It helped stop the swelling but it was still mildly swollen even the next morning. Does anyone have any suggestions for an anti-histamine like Benadryl that doesn't make you so drowsy? I'd apprciate feedback.
: : : : : I've suffered from facial swelling for almost a decade. I've been to top-notch doctors but none have been able to nail it, aside from diagnosing it as angioedema or chronic urticaria. Typically I will get a tingling in one area on a lip and then the swelling begins, working it's way around my mouth and finally subsiding after 12-24 hours. It takes a long time for the fluid to dissipate and the skin to shrink back. I also occasionally get tongue swelling (once extending into my windpipe - talk about scary), and then sometimes my eyes, hands, instep, etc. with much lower frequency. At various times I've suspected MSG, sulfates/sulfites/nitrates/nitrites, onions, aspartame, gasoline, and even stress but given the long half-life of most food additives in the body it's been impossible to pinpoint. Sometimes I get attacks as often as two weeks apart but lately it's been 2-3 months. I currently avoid all suspected foods and take Zyrtec each day. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated ...
: : : :
: : : : My daughter had this problem as a child and we discovered that she was allergic to a variety of red dyes used in foods and drinks. She was also allergic to phenobarbitol(or so we thought), but then it might have been the red dye in the preparation.
: : : My lips swelled up so much that I had to miss work and get coritsone shots. This happened 2Xs in my adult life, and I believe both were because of red wine, even though the doctor didn't think so. Red whatever, I'm sticking to Chardonay from now on....
: : I've been suffering from exactly the samr symptoms as you for just over 3 years now. I've been admitted into hospital a couple of times it has been so severe and now have to carry an adrenalin pen with me all the time. Earlier this year I discovered that I am allergic to sodium benzoate (a preservative). It is found in wines, beers, soft drinks, and various sauces. It tends to be used in liquids rather than solid foods. the main culprit in my case was white wine.
: : I take piriton to help the swelling go down but this can take up to 3 days, I've even had occurrences when both my eyes have swelled so badly that they have closed completely.
: : I'm also in the process of discovering that I am allergic to fresh fruit and some types of nuts (not peanuts!!). Another common allergy is to sodium metabisulphite which is also used in many drinks. I am not allergic to that one, but it is actually more common.
: : I hope this has been a help, please feel free to get in touch if you want any other feedback.
: ::Not only does my face and eyes swell, but I also experience hives all over my body. The doctors put me on every anti histimine there is, treated me for scabies , steriods on and on and on....
: nothing much helps. If I eat only fruits and veggies I'm ok, I can also have coffee. This started about 6 months ago I've narrowed it down to either the flu I had or metabolife that I was on for two weeks.
: I'll watch my ingredients' and see if I can better control my outbreaks. Be happy to hear other suggestions.