Posted by Dad
on September 07, 2000 at 12:38:02:
In Reply to: Re: Dad.. my son needs a helmet posted by DeAnna in Georgia on September 07, 2000 at 10:04:52:
Your pediatrician or family doctor can order the test done. It is a simple blood test. Lead, once ingested, will be stored in the bone marrow and fatty tissues, but some lead will stay free in the blood.
We used a medicaine called Chemet for chelation with very good success. The first round brought an increase to his sense of pain, which gave a decrease in self-destructive behaviors, and an increas in receptive language skills. The second round brought the beginnings of echolalia, and allowed us to make progress in verbalization using ABA. We are currently in the midst of round three (which we hope will be the last one needed).
Mercury can also have a big impact, but is very hard to detect as it stays in storage with none left free in the blood after ingestion. It is stored in the vital organs. Mercury is even more common than lead, being a component of vaccines for over ten years, and also prevalant in the fall-out from coal fired industry. I am told that one of the best times to test for mercury is when chelating, as the medecine will stir up the mercury out of storage back into the blood where it can be detected.
Good luck to you in this!