Posted by Dad
on July 16, 2000 at 21:02:55:
In Reply to: Please read to see if you have any suggestions :) posted by DeAnna in Georgia on July 14, 2000 at 12:14:48:
Have your child tested for lead poisoning. It is much more common than people realize, and autistic children are especially susceptible.
One of the main side effects to lead poisoning is a great threshold for pain and discomfort. After we began chelating my boy for his lead, he was much less aggressive and hit and head butted much less. Seems he probably couldn't really feel it before, and now that his tolerance for pain is much lower, he doesn't like the feeling of head butting at all.
This may not be the problem for your child, but having them tested will either point to the need for chelation or rule out this possibility.
Good luck to you!