Posted by Cheryl
on October 02, 2000 at 23:54:39:
In Reply to: Oral Medication posted by Once Bitten on October 02, 2000 at 20:57:03:
: Recently, we began giving our son medication for possible mercury poisoning. My question is this: How to get an autistic child, who has very little speech at 5yrs, to swallow a capsule. I have to hold his legs and arms and force his mouth open with two fingers to allow my wife to place the capsule inside the back of his mouth and wash it down. The medication is slow/time release, so no gringing it up. Hiding in food has proven fruitless. What's worse, we must give him the medicatation as soon as he wakes in the morning. Now, I've got tough skin, but he almost broke through my cuticle this morning. Is there anything safe to place inside his mouth to prevent him from clamping down? I know this sounds dreadful and frightening, and it pains us to no end to do it to him. The plus is he is off one week, on the next. Yes, we praise him for sucessfully swallowing the capsule, but that has not seemed to ease him into swallowing the item. Any ides?
Idea: We give our son many nutrients and supplements in the form of capsules and pills per day..He takes them with applesauce or "baby food" pears or peaches. We get a teaspoon 1/2 full of fruit, put pill in middle, tell him to swallow when we put it in his mouth. This has always worked well with tylenol or sudafed in the past since he was around 6. Sometimes now I have to remind him that it has a pill in it before I put the fruit spoon in his mouth. He is such a "trooper". He wants so much to get better and complies so well. I have always talked to him as I do with my other children, even though he is non=verbal and tested low IQ, I knew he could understand so much more. I think they try harder to comply when they know you believe in the possibilities of their abilities inside. I hope this helps!