Posted by Dan
on October 04, 2000 at 13:12:22:
In Reply to: Oral Medication posted by Once Bitten on October 02, 2000 at 20:57:03:
: Recently, we began giving our son medication for possible mercury poisoning. My question is this: How to get an autistic child, who has very little speech at 5yrs, to swallow a capsule. I have to hold his legs and arms and force his mouth open with two fingers to allow my wife to place the capsule inside the back of his mouth and wash it down. The medication is slow/time release, so no gringing it up. Hiding in food has proven fruitless. What's worse, we must give him the medicatation as soon as he wakes in the morning. Now, I've got tough skin, but he almost broke through my cuticle this morning. Is there anything safe to place inside his mouth to prevent him from clamping down? I know this sounds dreadful and frightening, and it pains us to no end to do it to him. The plus is he is off one week, on the next. Yes, we praise him for sucessfully swallowing the capsule, but that has not seemed to ease him into swallowing the item. Any ides?
I put all my sons supplements in a blender with his almond milk. So far, almost everything I add to this mixture, he accepts as long as the texture is smooth.