View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User
Re: A great solution for acne around the mouth and on the chin

I'm not quite sure how to characterize the activity on my chin, it is really quite mild, typically manifesting in the form of a few tiny whiteheads that very rarely contain any accumulation of pus. On "removing" them, there is rarely any discharge at all and I'm typically left for the duration of the day with a tiny red spot. What clued me in to the possible SLS connection was the fact that they tended to recur in more or less the exact same spot, even on the cusps of my lips. They have now all but disappeared following my transition to an SLS free toothpaste (which by the way you will likely have to go to a healthfood store to buy - I am currently using a Burt's Bees brand). I should also qualify all this by noting that I recently started taking 50 mg. of zinc a day, and remarked even on the first morning a visible improvement in inflammation and redness. Nevertheless, I do believe that the removal of SLS has also played a part.

Apparently, SLS is contained in a lot of facial washes; as I already mentioned, I'm not quite sure what it is designed to do, only that it apparently tends to be problematic for people whose skin is as sensitive as mine. That's all for now, good luck with the toothpaste.