View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
Hi there!
That is great that you are painfree! That must feel so wonderful.
I just wanted to leave you with a little piece of advice......
I had a fusion of 13 levels for scoliosis and I wasn't given a whole lot of restrictions except sky diving, rollar coasters, bungy jumping ect.
However, I do know that if I had known then what I know now, I would have never taken the doctors advice and I would have taken better care of myself. I never even knew what DDD was or ever had an inclination that type of thing can happen especially with past fusion patients. I lived a normal life and did everything I wanted with a few exceptions. Well, now I am suffering intense problems because the discs below my fusion are deteriorating and ruptured and my facet joints are shot. I would give back the world to have known about this. I would have taken way better care of myself.
I just wanted to let you know, no matter how great you feel it is very easy to come un-done again. I am definetely not saying that is gonna happen and I'm sure you will do great! I am just speaking out of experience, it is so worth it to give up rollar coasters, sports, surfing,ect if it means having a pain free life.
I'm sure you know from when you were in pain that even the simplest things make you happy and how important it is to be pain free. I am just saying that sometimes these few things aren't 'that' important.
I don't mean to sound negative or anything I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are so much better. I just have experienced some very 'ignorant' doctors and want to educate those who don't know these things. And I want people to know that even if the doctors says it's "okay" it may not be the best thing.
Best of Luck to you and I hope that you don't take me the wrong way.
I'm glad to hear someone is pain free!!!!
Congratulations!!
Christina

------------------
27 years old
1993: T1 to L1 fusion due to scoliosis at age 17
2000: Tore and ruptured L4 L5 & L5 S1-it finally got better after about a year. Did really well for about a year.
June 2002: Had a relapse and tore disc again. It is going on a year and my disc pain has subsided now I am faced with facet joint and bone problems restricting my movement.
Not sure what is next!
Still waiting to go into remission again but I think the damage is done!!
Current doctor say to wait it out.
Going for second opinion in July.
June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!