View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #3

Sara67 HB User
Re: Well I am back! I am now having constant chest tightness again, need advice please

Hello Tony

I hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. I am not a doctor so I can't diagnose you but I really think that what you are experiencing is tension and anxiety, not heart problems.

Heart pain is a crushing sensation in and around the chest but it would not be continuous. Angina pain is brought on with exercise and extreme emotions such as fear or anger. If it is angina, you would also get hot and clammy, you would be very breathless and you would be sweating. The pain would be reduced by resting and once you have rested, it would have gone completely. In most people, the pain would radiate down the left arm or up to the jaw. This is true or both angina and a full blown heart attack.

You said that after the tests came back negative and the doctor reassured you, you was free of pain and able to get back in the gym. It sounds as though you had a slight chest and throat infection and the symptoms of this have brought back old fears of heart disease.

It sounds to me as if you need to relax. You are so tense that your muscles are in knots. (Hense the term, uptight) I can say this to you because I have been where you are. I might even be back there one day, because that is how anxiety works. One minute you are feeling great and then bam, something happens and are you are back where you started. I have started to have cognitive therapy because I don't like the thought of being on medication. It has been really helpful. The therapist calls it "Catastrophic exaggeration". It is where even normal aches and pains are mistaken for life threatening illnesses. I tended to worry about cardiac problems more than anything because my mum died of congestive heart failiure.

Anyway, getting back to your problems: I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Get out there and live your life to the full and if you find yourself needing reassurance in the future, just look me up.

Best wishes

Sara