View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Need some help with big changes in my diet+exercise

Normally I would say that teenage acne is often caused by hormonal imbalances. But in your case, there is no question in my mind that your diet is contributing to the problem. Skin health is acheived from the inside out and if your internal health is poor there is no pill or cream that will clear up your acne... in fact these might very well be making things worse.

To give you some perspective, think of your skin as one of your body's vital organs. Your skin excretes toxins from the inside - generally speaking, accute skin problems indicate an excessive level of toxicity in the body. So what causes toxicity? Lots of things - excessive hormone production (which for you is just an age factor), most junk food including chemical additives and preservatives, processed sugar, excessive fat intake, alcohol, and drugs (including prescriptions, OTC, and recreational). Additionally, vitamin and mineral deficiencies can elevate your toxic load, because these substances which normally assist the body in eliminating toxins are missing.

First and foremost, I recommend that you start off by eliminating ALL junk from your diet. Think natural. Eat fresh foods - for example, fresh meats, veggies, whole grains, and fruit. Increase fiber. Absolutely omit all cookies, brownies, cakes, candy, and ANYTHING chocolate... there IS scientific evidence that chocolate does contribute to acne (for several reasons) - this is not a myth. This may not be the case with you, but milk and dairy products can contribute to accute skin conditions for many people including acne, dandruff, eczema, rashes, etc. I would recommend that you completely omit all dairy from your diet for a period of 2 weeks and see if you notice any improvement.

More specifically, you need to add some protein and nutrients to your breakfast and lunch. Since I am recommending that you omit milk (at least for a while) you might want to have some oatmeal with fruit and a piece of lean meat. For lunch - any type of sandwich with lettuce and meat (but skip the cheese) or PB&J or even some pasta with sauce with meat if available in your school. Carry some raw veggies, fruit, and nuts with you for snacks.

I don't think you need to worry about calories right now. You just need to "clean up" your diet. It would't hurt to give up the video games for a while, but I doubt that is really contributing to your problem.

I also think you should have a discussion with your dermotologist - tell him that you are unhappy with your progress and that you would like to know if there are any natural things you can do to improve the health of your skin.