View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
(female)

cre8v1 HB User
Hello, I'm a newbie here and need advice!

First of all, I'd like to apologize since I know this will be long. I just really need to express my self realization and get advice. Well...I am 35 going on 36 in a couple of months and just finally realized the reason for all of my lifelong struggles...ADHD! Now I am working up the courage to go to the Dr. to get this all "diagnosed"! I won't bore you all with all the past history of how I've come to this realization but I will say that I've been through more jobs than I could even count. Now I also have diabetes which was first thought to be depression/anxiety. In fact during that time I was seeing a therapist who mentioned that he felt I may actually be ADD but never followed up on it!

What has caused me to realize that something else was going on with me is the how it is affecting my life currently...especially since it has been affecting my marriage and the upkeeping of my household. My DH has given up on me working and so I have been a housewife fulltime for at least 8 months or so and I still can't even get that right! I've always had a hard time with falling asleep but lately it's gotten worse, if I do fall asleep it's very easy for me to just snap awake. I feel that I can't get my brain to slow down!

Now here's my main problem...I am also trying to get pregnant and both my gynecologist and family doctor told me that it does sound like I am ADD but need to see a Psychiatrist to give the final diagnosis...but both of them advised me not to take any medication for this condition. So what are some alternatives for this...and I was informed it may even get worse during my pregnancy!

In addition to this, I just published my first children's story and because of my past failures due to my ADD symptoms, I'm beginning to feel that this whole venture may not be as successful as it possibly could be!

At this time in my life I feel both relieved yet afraid. I feel relieved for finally having an idea of what has been my "problem" but afraid of how I will or if I ever will be able to overcome this! I am totally overwhelmed with all of the information and don't even know where to start!! Can someone offer me some much needed advice on what I need to do here!