Thread: Adult Acne
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #4

kittikat HB User
Re: Adult Acne

Buzzsaw,

Thanks for posting this thread. I am a 34 year old female and always feel as though not a lot of people on this board can relate because they are experiencing acne at a younger age. I also experienced teenage acne but it didn't seem to emotionally impact me as much as when I developed it again a year ago. When I was a teenager, I still went to school and interacted with my friends. I remember being upset about it, but it didn't prevent me from graduating from high school, going to college and eventually starting my career.

Now (if I let my guard down) my acne effects all aspects of my life. When I initially started to break out with acne, I avoided my friends and family, took some time off of work and basically cried about it every day. I definitely am better and tried to remain positive for the most part. I guess what was the most frustrating was trying all these different products, topicals, creams and other things recommended by my family, friends and doctor and nothing worked. In fact, it all made it worse. I have come to the conclusion that the "beauty" industry just wants to make money and there is no real product out there that can "cure" acne.

I am currently using Purpose Gentle Wash Cleanser AM and PM, Cleo-T Lotion in the AM and Retin-A PM. I have never found a moisturizer that did not make my acne worse. Therefore, I recently purchased a humidifer, which I run while I am sleeping. My dry skin has decreased and my skin actually feels softer and smooth. Also, I on Othro Tri-Cyclin for Birth Control.

So far, I get an occasional pimple, but nothing like before. I was going to the dermatologist at least once a week to have cortisone shots for the cystic acne below my jawline, which were very painful. I still have the red marks, but I cover those with makeup. It sounds like you are concerned about red marks as well. Have you considered a concealer. Almay makes a great one. I know you are male, but it does not look like you have makeup on when yoiu apply it. People are surprised when I tell them I have makeup on. Believe me, a year ago I did not wear makeup. I have had to learn how to apply makeup and find ones that don't break me out. It has been hell.

So here it is, I have noticed that if I keep tell myself positive thoughts the idea of having acne doesn't seem as bad. I can cover it with makeup and nobody knows I have it. I have spent to much time letting acne control my life. The day I said to hell with the bloody acne, my quality of life has improve and as well as my relationship with others. I definitely still have my bad days, but I have developed some new hobbies and I am trying really hard to stay positive. Bottom line, we only have one life to live and I don't want to live my life worrying about my acne. Ironically, not stressing about my acne, I noticed that it has improved. Go Figure.

By the way, "less is more". I had really irriated, dry, itchy and flaky skin because my last dermatologist put me on so many different topicals that my face did not have a chance. My current derm. had to prescribe steroids for a week to just calm down the red, itchy and dry skin. It worked and we are back on track with the acne.

Happy Holidays and everyone keep safe.

Last edited by kittikat; 12-23-2004 at 11:12 PM.