Thread: Adult Acne
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #19
(female)

malia81 HB User
Re: Adult Acne

hello everyone,

i am a 23 and have had acne since i was in 6th grade. imagine middle school kids asking you "what is that on your face?" in complete naivete...they hadn't even seen acne before!it has been an extrememly long battle and i've not won yet.

for a lot of people who have acne into adulthood, i see that they've used prescription after prescription without success...both topicals and orals. i myself have been on accutane 4 times! all of which had no success after ONE month of taking the last pill. not to mention i've tried all types of Rx: masks (sulfur based, and salicylic acid based), antibiotics (tetracycline, minocin, dynacin for years), retinoids (Retin-a/micro, avita, tazorac, diferin), benzoyl peroxide (Benzac - huge mistake!), systems (ProActive, Perricone's Acne prescription, Acne Free in 3 days, some system from LA).

ALL imaginable strengths of OTC products, BP, SA, GA, in all different combinations. let me tell you firsthand, NEVER combine a retinoid with BP unless you want to look like Freddy Kreuger.

and the supplements: B5 megadosing, Vit A, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, DMAE, Vit E, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, primrose oil, borage oil, spironolactone, etc., etc.

then, i started thinking....i'm past puberty and my skin shouldn't be acting up this badly anymore. bc i realized the more medications i put on my skin the more it would just spew oil.

so then i cut down to one topical a night...my tone looked a bit better. then i used only Cetaphil...even better. but still breaking out. then i read Sodium Lauryl Sulfate can be an allergen. so i used water to wash only. still broke out. fast forward to 8-9 months of using only products on my face that i would ingest, having done all the crazy liver flushing and bowel cleansing, and i'm seeing slow and steady results.

i've used oils starting with jojoba, then added emu, then tamanu. now because of the cold i'm using unrefined shea butter and emu oil. after rinsing in the shower with water, then exfoliating with baking soda, and a hot salt water treatment with celtic sea salt i'll literally slop the emu oil and shea butter on.

contrary to what i've always believed, OILS are NOT bad for your skin. you just have to find the right ones. if your face is dry right after you wash it then that could mean that you just need to replenish it. putting on topicals is just keeping the cycle there.

sorry this turned out to be an essay...i do have so much more to say but i'll stop! honestly, i've never had results like this when i was bombarding my face with acne medications.

Last edited by malia81; 12-27-2004 at 08:39 AM.