View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User
Re: At wit's end--What finally worked for you?

Geez, your life does sound a lot like mine. It's not fun, is it? Getting these infections sure does detract from one's quality of life, I think. I really get disgusted big time, and I think my husband gets tired of me being sick all the time. Yes, I'm a female, so trust me, I know exactly what you mean with the yeast infections...ugh! I had one for three months one time and thought I'd go nuts or something. Talk about misery! Now I've been taking acidophilus pills that I buy at Walmart and take them while I'm on an antibiotic. Although I just can't seem to avoid a yeast infection, at least the acidophilus seems to keep the yeast in check so it doesn't really run wild and make it completely unbearable.

My doctor did write out a prescription for Zyrtec with the first sinus infection that I had of the season, but when I got to the pharmacy the pharmacist said that my husband's insurance doesn't cover it so then I didn't get it filled. The insurance we have used to cover allergy medications such as Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, etc., but those days have come and gone. Our insurance isn't one of the best, and even on my maintenance prescriptions now I have to get the generic brand, whereas a few years ago I could get the name brand. It seems like every year it gets worse. Anyway, I've never tried Zyrtec because I don't recall that the doctor ever wrote out a prescription for it while the insurance covered it. Actually, I guess Zyrtec hasn't been out for a real long time, so maybe our insurance even stopped covering allergy meds before Zyrtec was on the market, I'm not sure.

I got sick a lot as a kid too. I guess mine was mostly all colds though. I wore Vicks on my chest and nose more than I care to remember! My mom and dad tell me that I was sick almost every single Christmas. I remember throwing up a lot as a kid. I guess I was mostly always a mess. About 15 years ago I was in the hospital for a week with pneumonia and felt like I was going to croak. I coughed so much that I had to hold my sides. It hurt so bad it felt like I had broken ribs. That hospital stay was when I was diagnosed with asthma, although I had suspected before that that I had it because I would wheeze sometimes. It seems like my getting colds/bronchitis/pneumonia has stopped and the sinus infections took over where those other things left off. Either way, I'm miserable. I didn't like getting that heavy feeling on my chest that I would always get with those things, but I also don't like the sore throats and headaches and the gunk that I get with these sinus infections. I'm so counting on the Hydro Pulse machine. If it doesn't work, then I'll be at a loss of what to try next. I hope that humidifier works for you when you get it.