View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
5 year old grandson may have aspergers questions please.

My grandson is 5 years old. He has been preliminarily screened by a local education provider and was rated at risk on most all of the sections of functions and was rated failure to meet minimum on language and motorskills. I did not see the paperwork because my son told me the results, but this is the behavior I have seen. He points out objects and asks minimal questions. He became enraged the other day at his daycare when he was not allowed to go outside because he did not have on a jacket. I was told he bit another kid there. He seems very intelligent and the little time that I spent with him, he seemed to respond to my instructions if I lowered my voice. If I raised my voice, he appeared to shut down. He appears to me to be functioning somewhere between 18 months and 2 years of age, emotionally and with communication, impulse control seems to almost not be there, but yet he is basically toilet trained except when he gets into a new situation. It seems to help to tell him a head of time what will happen next, and then next. The other day he was outside with his grandfather and picked some wild sunflowers and brought them and gave them to me. Of course I made a big deal out of it, and he smiled and then turned his attention away to something else. It was like our moment was over. Can anyone enlighten me as to what questions to ask. My son will be raising this child and his two siblings. His sister appears shy but average for her age. His brother has ADHD and is being treated by medication. As far as I can tell is doing well. I don't see them on a constant daily basis, but have just started being able to have more contact with them since my son moved near me. The other thing I noticed is that my grandson seems to crave certain foods to the exclusion of others, and seems to have physical reactions getting wound up when eating certain foods, but again I have not been around him enough to know which foods are bad except the other day when we went to McDonalds and he had a cheeseburger and fries. He went from a sweet cooperate quiet kid to a raging angry child in about 8 minutes from his last bite. It was definitely a Jekyl - Hyde change. Can some one comment here since I have gone through all the posts and don't exactly see, consistent symptoms.