View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
(male)

exist21 HB User
Help! What is wrong with me?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through this. I'm desperate for help.

I am 21 year old male. I'm not exactly sure when my problems started, but my first symptom -- at least the first one I noticed -- was erectile dysfunction. I'm not precisely sure hold old I was when I noticed something was wrong but I guess I was around 15 years old. I had normal, frequent erections up until that point, however. I told my doctor about my problem and he reassured me that everything was fine and that it was all in my head. I had the feeling it wasn't, but I accepted his answer, in part, perhaps, because I didn't want to believe that there was anything wrong. In addition, the erectile problems I was experiencing weren't, at that point, terribly bad. But the function of my penis was significantly different than it used to be.

Fast forward a couple years. Around the age of 17-18 I experienced a couple spells of incredibly frequent urination. I would go to the bathroom several times in a row. My urine stream was very weak and very little urine would come out when I urinated. It was uncomfortable and annoying but not painful. For some reason --denial?-- I didn't see a doctor. It has since become worse, which I will get back to.

Also, around this time I noticed that every once in a while my left hand would sometimes turn a sort of bluish color, which I presume has something to do with blood. It only occurs when my hand is down by my side, and the color returns to normal if I lift up my hand above my head. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't figure out what triggers it. But it is definitely not normal. It wasn't painful at all, so I didn't think anything of it. I mentioned it to my doctor at one point, and she didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. Since then, I have read about Raynaud's syndrome and looked at pictures, and I am very confident that I DONT have Raynaud's.

Two things I should add. I was always very active and athletic. I played sports and exercised. Also, in retrospect, I can see that I was very fatigued throughout these years, but didn't realize it. It's only looking back that I can see how I was tired all the time and how I went from being able to exercise and run long distances, to slowly not having any energy at all.

My erectile problems got worse. At age 19, I finally realized that something was definitely wrong. Looking back, I should have known much sooner but I was in denial, I guess. I went to a urologist and he said he didn't know what was wrong.

Over the next couple months, my health got much worse. First, I started to get terrible heartburn. Then, one day I was exercising --nothing intense--and I noticed my knees hurt really bad. I should probably also mention that when I used to exercise, I would sweat A LOT.

A few weeks later, I had exercised mildly again. Afterwards, I felt horrible. For the next 2 weeks or so I was extremely fatigued. I would wake up in the morning feeling like I didn't get any sleep. My joints in my knees and elbows hurt. Mentally, I was very cloudy and spaced out and couldn't concentrate.

I had all the bloodwork done and everything turned up normal.

Around this time. My other hand, my right one, started doing the same thing that my left one had been doing for the past couple of years: turning a purplish color when I hang it by my side and returing to normal when I raise my hand above my head. It doesn't do it everytime my hand is down, but it does happen very frequently. Up until that point, I just assumed that the hand-changing-color thing didn't mean anything. I thought it just happened because at one point I punched a hard object with my left hand and I figured I damaged something. But when my right hand started doing the same thing right after my health became dramatically worse, I figured it must mean something.

So at this point I have all these problems: erectile dysfunction, urinary dysfunction, hand-changing-color, heartburn, extreme fatigue, mental cloudiness, etc.

A couple months later--I'm still 19-- I start getting muscle twitches all over my body.

Around age 20, I notice that sometimes I get this tingling feeling all over my body. I also start to itch a lot in the shower or when i get hot. And when it's really bad I break out in a rash with little red dots.

About the urinary problems. It is incredibly frustrating. I feel like I don't empty myself out when I urinate. Only a little bit of urine comes out. And the fuller my bladder is, the less I urine output I have. I always have to not drink and wait for my body to slowly empty itself out. I hate this feeling of not being able to drink because it will make me urinate all the time.

I have recently discovered that my fatigue and mental cloudiness and general feeling-rotten feelings, increases the more I drink. If I don't drink any fluids for a while, I feel better. But if I drink a certain amount, my eyes become terribly bloodshot, I get a horrible headache, and I feel extra fatigued. How can drinking fluids make me feel so awful? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I had a cystoscopy performed and everything was normal.

I went to a neurologist and had an mri and he says everything was normal.

Bloodwork is normal.

I can't function. I'm not working or going to school. It's frustrating going to the doctor. I have so many problems that I feel like many of them don't believe me, or they think I'm crazy. Erectile dysfunction is unheard of in people my age, one doctor made it clear that he didn't take me seriously and didn't even believe me. I've lost a decent amount of weight too.

It if would be beneficial to anyone, I could explain my problems in more detail. There's so much to write and describe. I just sort of outlined what's been going on. I've probably forgot some things, too.

If anyone can help, I would be extremely appreciative.