Thread: Scalp Problem
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
Re: Scalp Problem

Dude, if you ONLY feel itchy after eating spicy foods or after physical activity, it's is probably NOT lice. Lice will itch ALL the time, but they will itch even more at NIGHT.

It is certainly possible for lice to start moving around and cause more itching if you are sweating, as spicy food and exercise will cause -- but this seems kind of far-fetched to me.

Also, lice are NOT something that has to do with being "dirty," but you are correct: this is a common misconception that makes a case of lice very embarrassing, so that's an understandable concern.

Scalp lice are very small -- you may never see them just by examining your scalp or combing your hair. Sometimes there can be a few larger ones -- and lice are NOT invisible -- they CAN be seen, but it isn't easy.

If people start suggesting home remedies for lice here -- if I were you, I'd ignore them. The BEST way to get rid of lice is to buy a lice-removal kit. Home remedies leave lots of room for error and the lice can return quickly. If you buy the kit, look in a drugstore -- get RID 2000 or a similar product. READ the directions and follow them EXACTLY, including the part about washing all your clothes and spraying down your furniture. This is VERY important.

But the good news is that I think you probably don't have lice.

STOP pouring peroxide or any other chemicals on your scalp!

Get a shampoo that indicates on the bottle that it has a proper pH level for hair and scalp -- most of them do.

Chill out for a while and use ONLY the shampoo and end it with the chemicals. Chemicals will NOT kill lice -- lice can hold their breath for a LONG time. Only the natural poisons in lice-removal products will penetrate the bodies of the lice and kill them -- and then it doesn't matter if they hold their breath.

Give it a week or so. See how you feel. Relax. It is possible to make yourself itch if you think about it too much.

If you don't feel any better soon, go get a lice kit and try it out. You will SEE the dead lice FOR SURE if you follow the directions -- and then you'd know. If you do NOT see any dead lice -- you never had them.

Good luck.

NO MORE PEROXIDE!