View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: costochondritis???

Hey Natalie,

Chostochondritis is a common symptom of Fibromyaglia. It can also be a "stand alone" condition. This is what I went round and round with my old Rheumatologist. She dx'd me with Chosto but it wasn't in my files, and I insisted that she put it in there. She didn't want to cuz she said it was symptymatic of FM, and I said that I have heard that it can be dx'd on it's own, so I wanted it in my file. She did finally add it to my file.

Chosto is an inflammation of the cartilegde between your ribs and surrounding your sternum. A lot of people who experience pain from chosto fear they are having a heart attack because of the area of the pain. Your sternum becomes very tender, you can't even touch it. Your ribs, usually on one side will be so sore it's hard to breathe, or even wear a bra. It can last for a month or more, or just a couple of weeks. Some people only get it once, for other's it's recurring. I have read research that states recurring Chosto may be caused by a previous bacterial or viral infection. Mine comes and goes, but the first time I got Chosto I was recovering from E-Coli and that was the worst it's ever been. Best thing for it is anti-inflammatory meds. Either OTC or prescription anti-inflammatory meds. But Aleve works just as well, so don't waste your money. Personally, Skelaxin never worked for me.

Good luck honey.

tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 05-02-2005 at 10:13 PM.