View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #2

dreeeemer HB User
Re: Acrylic Nail Question - Help

I agree that polish never stays on no matter what I do and acrylic would definitly make the polish stay on, but it will probably make your nails weaker in the long run.

In order to get the acrylic to stay on, they have to file down your natural nails. Back when I used to get acrylic, they would file so much the skin under my nails felt like it was burning. When they remove the acrylic your natural nails are so thin, I call them "soft shelled crab nails" (yeah, I am from Maryland!) and they hurt and break as soon as they get any length. It takes a month or so for them to grow back to 'normal' but I am pretty sure mine are ruined, they now have little lines in them, even after more than two years. If you want to go acrylic, I think you have to do it for good and be ready to commit to it. They can look really nice if you don't let them get too thick or too long but it is hard to go back once you have them and I really don't think it would produce the effect you want (short-term support, then take the acrylic off).

Maybe look into the 'wraps' I have never had one, but I think they wrap silk around your natural nails to keep them strong. I dont think that your nails would stay strong if you took the wrap off, but it might work better for what you want.