View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Extremely Rapid heartbeat -- I fear I have SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNathan
All I really want to know is if my life is in danger or if I am A-OK. I have read that SVT is not life threatening, but VT is. How do I know which one I have? What risks come with this condition? Any help?

Thanks in advance
My SVT started when I was 17, which was several decades ago. Mine would come on suddenly, by my heart pausing a few seconds, making me feel faint, and then beating about 160 beats per minute. As with yours, mine would stop suddenly. I got them regularly. I finally found out how to stop them by lying on my back, taking a deep breath, and then letting it out fully and slowly. Sometimes it would take 10-15 minutes to get rid of them this way.

There is no way anyone on Healthboards would know your condition or the condition of your heart. Even a health professional couldn't know without examining you. That said, there are many people who live with SVT. If it starts and then keeps beating fast, and your heart doesn't go back to normal rhythm, then you need to get medical help to stop the SVT, or you may have to take heart medicine the rest of your life to slow your heart beat.

SVT effects the upper portion of the heart. This is the portion that accumulates the blood for the bottom portion of the heart, the ventricles. The ventricles pump your blood into your body, or into your lungs. VT, or Ventricular Tachycardia, hinders the pumping action of the heart and that is why VT is life threatening. Some of the symptoms of VT are difficulty breathing, feeling faint, fatigue, chest pain and being light headed.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-05-2005 at 04:14 PM.