View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

Drewtn HB User
Re: Help with TMJ/trigeminal neuralgia

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. ((HUGS)) Do you grind your teeth at night?? I was having terrible jaw troubles and I found out one of my meds was making me not sleep well and I was grinding my teeth. I would wake up and my jaw was sore. That is the only thing I can think of.

I just looked up the side effects of both meds and donít see anything related to that. On Neurontin it says hostility. Guess that could make you grit you teeth. LOL

Have you talked to the doc about it?? Does your jaw feel relaxed or tense?? (Just in general?) I could tell during the day when mine hurt I was unusually tense.

Sorry I canít help much but I wanted to just throw some ideas out and wish you well. Let us know how you are doing!
Drew

*I just looked up to see if there might be some kind of link between them. Sure looks like TMJ can cause almost the same pain.

Here are a couple different things I found:

Quote:
TMJ syndrome is another possible cause of facial pain which should be ruled out.

Quote:
Typical Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) is characteristically described as a sharp or electrical lancinating pain that is set off by a trigger area within the area innervated by the trigeminal nerve. There is not usually any residual pain as it is an all or nothing sensation. The exact cause of TN is unknown. Studies have shown that for some people impingement of the nerve by blood vessels close to the brain can contribute to this disorder. TN is often misdiagnosed as a toothache as the most common trigger areas are within the mouth. This can lead to unnecessary dental treatment, which often leads to an unnecessary dental extraction. An MRI of your brain will also need to be done to rule out intra-cranial pathology. The treatment of choice involves quieting the trigeminal nerve with medications such as Neurontin or Tegretol. As many of these medications have effects on the major organs it is important that a person have a complete physical by their physician. Additionally, any irritations of the nerve by pain impulses coming from jaw muscles, teeth, migraines also need to be addressed.
Quote:
Far too often, when a person is suffering with severe facial pain with no apparent cause, the diagnosis given is trigeminal neuralgia. Because of this, the patient may be subjected to medications and even very serious surgical procedures which are not necessary. The symptoms tic douloureux are very characteristic: sharp electrical pain which lasts for seconds. This pain is triggered by touching a specific area of the skin by washing, shaving, applying makeup, brushing the teeth, kissing, or even cold air. The second division of the trigeminal nerve (the maxillary division), which supplies feeling to the mid-face, upper teeth and palate, seems to involved most. The pain is so severe that the sufferer will do virtually anything to avoid touching the trigger zone, producing the pain.