View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Has anybody won SSDI benefits on the reconsideration stage?

The one thing I found out when i won the second time around was that I lost alot of time with regard to when they decided i was actually disabled.I had put down the date of my spinal cord surgery as I was also told by my neurosurgeon that my recovery would take at the very least, up to a year.and I truely was disabled the second they opened my spinal cord up and went inside.Well, I was denied the first time around April first and when they actually awarded benefits, since they had decided the i was not disabled the first time around, they only went back to the date of the first denial and screwed me out of like seven months of back pay.That sucked.My lawyer said that I could fight it but if I did and lost, the judge could possibly take away ALL of my new benefits and that would be much much worse so I just said, hey, at least I actually finally got approved and left it alone.Also make sure that you update ANY new medical issues.I also wrote a letter to who ever was going to look at my file and fully explained the reasons why I felt they were wrong.They had stated a load of BS reasons why I was denied the first time around in that letter they sent out when you got denied?like i could actually work as a part time cashier again,and actually use BOTH hands fully.Despite the fact that my L hand suffered extreme damage from the surgery and is actually starting to claw.(also had an EMG done that showed many lost nerves and dead muscles)Oh yeah, i can really do transactions and work a register with that??I could not believe some of the things they stated i could still do.Did they not actually read all of the documented damage in all of my medical files??i really was quite shocked and felt compelled to straighten them out by explaining reasons for every single thing they said i could still do.this really helps to justify why you feel you deserve to be awarded benefits.I wish you luck.Marcia