View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Can someone explain how Med School works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy123
Hi all,
I'll be starting my freshman year of college in the fall. I'm planning on being a neuroscience major on a pre-med track. For the past few years, I've been changing my mind, going back and forth, between wanting to be an anesthesiologist or an orthopaedic surgeon. For the past 8ish months I've been set on being an orthopaedic surgeon, I think alot of this stems from the fact that I had a major knee operation (TTT) in September (I'll have the operation on my other knee next summer). How everything in the joints (bones, tendons, ligaments) fit together just fascinates me. I remember doing a bio lab this past spring where we used chicken legs and had to cut a tendon and see how the joint moves...it just hit me as to why everyone was so concerned about making sure all of my quad muscles were strong prior to surgery. Then it's like look at how much damage a malformed trochlear groove can cause. So as you can pretty much see...I'm just amazed by this aspect of medicine.
Everyone asks me how long I will go to school to become a surgeon when people ask me what I want to do when I grow up, and honestly, I have no idea! I was hoping that someone could explain the process. 4 years of undergrad (my med school prerequesite courses will be taken care of through my major), take the MCAT, apply to med school and hope you get in...then what? How does Med School work...there's interns and residencies and whatever else. How does it work to become an orthopaedic surgeon???

Thanks for the information!