View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Think I may put myself back on BP meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
As a whole, I don't see much difference. My daily readings do vary quite a bit, even from minute to minute. The few readings I've taken after waking up in the middle of the night were high, but I don't know if that happens regularly or if it was a fluke. I've wondered about the possibility of occasional problems with sleep apnea, but I never can remember to bring my BP monitor in the bedroom to check my pressure still lying down when I awaken in the night.
Sleep apnea and high blood pressure readings at night are both signs of Insulin Resistance.

Quote:
Yes, those unmedicated diastolic readings aren't bad for an "old lady." (63) What is interesting is that they are actually lower than my usual readings 10-15 years ago, before I ever had to go on BP meds originally. My pressure then was almost always 120/80 when I went to the doctor. (And I've never had "white coat.")I'm used to having my BP go right back down within a few hours after some stressful event that takes it up.
As we age, our bodies become less able to handle calories, among other things. In addition, women have hormonal changes as they age. Our bodies were also able to handle stress a lot better when we were younger. Not fair, huh?

Quote:
But does exposure to an allergen keep BP up longer usually?
That is what I experience. I can't say if other's reactions will be the same as mine.

Quote:
Of course, if I am sensitive to potatoes, I've had large servings four times over the past three days, so I keep repeating the insult (if that is really the problem).
Another big clue! It is far worse to eat a cup of potatoes than three cups of sugar. Potatoes convert very quickly to a lot of blood sugar, and at a much higher rate than regular sugar. Surprising isn't it?

As we age, our bodies have more difficulty handling calories. Over time, if we comsume too many calories, our bodies start rebelling against the overload of blood sugar and insulin produced by the pancreas. When were were younger, our bodies could handle the extra calories. That explains why adult onset diabetes, or Diabetes Type 2, usually happens to people in their older years.

The potatoes and other calories that you consumed over the past three days definitely contributed to your higher blood pressure readings. The body also tends to overheat while it is trying to process and burn off an excess of calories.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of that's been different lately is that I've eaten quite a lot of potatoes the last couple of days. And with my usual high consumption of fruit and fruit juices, my carb intake has been higher than usual. Do you think that could cause it?
The clues are getting stronger. I would guess that you are somewhat insulin resistant. But, because it takes quite a lot to get your blood pressure high, or to cause other symptoms, I would be willing to bet that, normally, you have a pretty healthy diet. So..... you have treated your body very well. It's only when you overload your system with calories and carbs that you experience increased symptoms.

In other words, if you are insulin resistant, as most of us are in our older years, then your insulin resistance is quite mild.

Quote:
I do have a lot of environmental allergies - fungus, my cats (all three of which sleep with me), pollen. But those all tend to give me a runny nose, which I haven't had, so I don't think those could be the problem this time.
That is another piece of the puzzle. When you have an allergic attack, your body's hormonal system pumps chemicals (hormones) into your blood stream. These hormones can cause the blood vessals to constrict, causing higher blood pressure. It seems to take several days for those blood vessels to relax.

So....... your body is attacked by too much blood sugar and insulin when you consume too many calories AND attacked by hormones caused by your allergies, PLUS attacked by menopause hormonal changes, PLUS attacked by increased hormones caused during stress. TILT!

Whatcha think? Have I confused you sufficiently?

Take care.

Last edited by Machaon; 07-08-2005 at 09:52 AM.