View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

vs1988 HB User
Possibly exposed to asbestos at work?

I am a 16 year old male, and I have a summer job working at an office which also has a factory attached to it.

At work today, I had to transfer about 5 file cabinets worth of folders/papers into 20 cardboard boxes for storage. The cabinets were upstairs in the office attic. The attic is actually really a platform that sits between the office and the factory. There usually is never anyone up there, and anytime anyone goes up, it's usually for less than 5 minutes to grab some storage materials.

While I was working, I noticed some fluffy, yellow-grayish material sticking out of the wall where pipes were connected to them. I wondered if it might be asbestos or not but kept on working anyway. I was up in the attic for maybe less than 2 hours total, and I kept walking back downstairs to get water etc.

I asked my supervisor about it, and he said to show it to him. He took a look and said it was "probably fiberglass insulation." Later on in the day, I talked to another supervisor for whom I work, and she said there was most likely asbestos up there cause the building is over 50 years old, but the likelihood that it has broken free is rare.

I'm still a bit freaked out about it. I know asbestos can cause all sorts of problems like lung cancer, mesothelioma and lung disease. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I'm might ask one of the factory foremen or techs to come up with me tomorrow to check it out.

Other exposures I've had in the past are not very definite. Our school has been under renovation for the past 2 years, and they had to remove a lot of abestos (school was shut down for a week). I'm not sure whether or not any of it was airborne before it was removed. My other possible exposure was in shop class. We had taken apart an old car, and I remember working on the brakes, removing the pads, and cleaning the assembly off with an air hose.

Does anyone have any advice or information?

Thank you.

Vince