View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User
Re: what are these tests my endo is sending me for?

CONTINUED

Thyroidal Antibodies I assume your doc is testing both adrenal antibodies as well as Thyroid antibodies. I couldn't find too much listed on the Adrenal antibodies, but here is a whole list of the Thyroid antibodies! Lots eh?
Thyroid Hormone Nuclear Receptor Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Nuclear Receptor-alpha 1 / beta 1 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Nuclear Receptor-beta 1, A / B Domain Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor (beta) Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor a1 / a2 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor Ab 4 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor alpha 1 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor alpha 1 / 2 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor alpha 1, 2 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor Alpha 2 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor Alpha-1 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor beta Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor Beta-1 Antibodies
* Thyroid Hormone Receptor beta-2 Antibodies
* Thyroid Iodide Transporter (TIT) Antibodies
* Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies
* Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) a Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Ho
rmone (TSH) Alpha Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) b Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Ho

rmone (TSH) Beta Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) intact Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Alpha (hTSH-a) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone alpha (TSH a) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone alpha (TSHa) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone beta (hTSH-b) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Beta (hTSH-) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone beta (TSHb) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Receptor Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, beta (TSHb) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, intact (TSHintact) Antibodies
* Thyroid Stimulating Hormone-Beta (TSH-b) Antibodies
* Thyroid Transcription Factor Antibodies
* Thyroid Transcription Factor 1 (TTF-1) Antibodies
* Thyroid, Lung Epithelial Marker (TTF-1) Antibodies
* Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone Antibodies

immunoglobulin I threw this in there because Ig readings are very common when testing certain protiens and antibodies

<immunology> A specific protein substance that is produced by plasma cells to aid in fighting infection. Some immunoglobulins (gamma globulin) take part in various immune responses of the body to bacteria or foreign substances (allergens, tumour or transplanted tissue). Examples include IgG, IgM, IgA, IgD and IgE.

autoantibody FYI

Antibody that reacts with an antigen that is a normal component of the body. Obviously this can lead to some problems and autoimmunity has been proposed as a causative factor in a number of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.

antigens

Substances which are capable, under appropriate conditions, of inducing a specific immune response and of reacting with the products of that response, that is, with specific antibodies or specifically sensitised T-lymphocytes, or both. Antigens may be soluble substances, such as toxins and foreign proteins, or particulates, such as bacteria and tissue cells; however, only the portion of the protein or polysaccharide molecule known as the antigenic determinant (epitopes) combines with antibody or a specific receptor on a lymphocyte.

autoantibody This is the definition of an "AUTOantibody". An antibody that reacts with the cells, tissues, or native proteins of the individual in which it is produced.

OKAY! These are some excerpts from various sources, one being the webiste I listed in my original post, and the definitions are simply taken from the online Medical Dictionary.

There are some references to "gonads" (male glands) and "x-linked" substance which basically deals with the X Chromosone. I don't know what relevance the "x-linked" tests have for women but I'm sure your doc would know. It seems to me when I was reading that some of these tests that indicate an "x-linked" result runs the gammet of both men and women. Know I know that "gonads" deal with the men! LOL

I'm thinking that your doc is looking for some kind of Adrenal Insuffinciency disorder, Thyroid Dysfunction, Addisons, or some other hormonal disfunction i.e. glandular like your ovaries, putitary etc.

We women have testosterone, and it plays a heavy part in our libido. Men's and women's testosterone reading numbers are entirely different. I think we range from 1 - 15 (????) I know mine is low at a 4. I have my test somewhere! LOL While men's numbers are in the hundreds.

Have you been complaining of low libido or any of the symptoms that accompany Adrenal Insufficiency disorder, Thyroid dysfunction (either hyper, hypo or one of the many other Thyroid dysfunctions? Obviously your doc is looking for something hormonal that may be caused by a glandlular malfunction. Which will cause your whole system to totally misfire! It simply goes wacko when our hormones or glands are not working in sync. I recently had an ultrasound on my Thyroid where they found two lesions. I'm awaiting a referral to an Endo now. It is a long and tricky process to nail down exactly why you feel "badly".

Be patient. Ask the doc lots of questions. Get your test results. I see someone else has given you a good website to get your labs read. Take your test to your doc and go over them TOGETHER. IMO that is the best way to understand your labs. They are so confusing! But if you go along with your doc line by line it does make things clearer. If something is "flagged" or "borderline" ask about it! Look over your test before you see the doc. Highlight any "flags" or "borderline" numbers. The normal range readings will always be within the parenthises, i.e. (.80, 2.35) Any number before these parenthises that falls within this range is considered "normal", although you may be borderline high or borderline low, if so ASK about it!
i.e.
T4 Free 1.2 (.80-1.8) The numbers before the () is your result, the
T-3 Free 317 (230-420) numbers within the () are the "normal" range
TSH 1.32 (.40-5.5) for that particular test.

I hope this helps more than confuses you! LOL
I'm happy to help if I did, great, if not, well, I DID learn something about getting my DHEA tested regarding my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and that
hydrocortisone may help my libido!

Good luck zoe and keep us posted okay. Find ONE board to post your results on though! LOL That way I don't have to hunt you down! LOL

Hugs,
tk