View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: The Pain of Fibro Fog

hi janet,
i know what you are feeling. it happens to me too. i had to give up reading for several years. then i found these wonderful books by james herriot. he was a vet in the u.k. early in the 20th century. each chapter is a short story. i read him still. when i am in the fog he transports me to a gentler time.
here is a good way to handle public appearances. when someone you have forgotten comes up to you say this. well, hello! tell me all about how things are going in your life? people love to talk about themselves. this way we do not appear to have forgotten them. usually they tell you enough to spark a memory. if not, listening makes them happy. another good one is to have hubby close by to whisper their names in your ear as they come toward you.
please don't let it get you down or frustrated. i have spent years walking in circles, forgetting what i was saying, and you know what? i have found the humor in it all and laugh. i will stop midsentence, suddenly lost, burst out laughing and tell the person, well there goes that thought! we laugh and move on to something else. i figure if i forgot it, it probably was not that important, and if it is, it will return at some point.
laughter, especially at our own bizarre antics is healing. it also keeps the people who would feel sorry for me or be offended, from feeling that way. i want to be surrounded by laughter. so i start it.
having fibromyalgia is not easy. it is doable. learning to laugh at myself has made this journey interesting and fun.
peace and compassion, love and laughter,
bluelakelady