View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Oesophageal Cancer

Acid reflux over time can lead to Barret's disease due to repeated damage to the lining of esophagus. It happens in about 10 percent of people with acid reflux. And esophageal cancer can occur in about less then 10 percent of people with Barrets over years. There are two different surgical treatments: Esophagectomy, which removes the cancerous part of the esophagus and nearby lymph nodes. This procedure is performed only on patients with very early cancer that has not spread to the stomach. Esophagogastrectomy, which removes the cancerous part of the esophagus, nearby lymph nodes, and the upper part of the stomach. It is a difficult operation for any age. They basically take out part of your esophagus and bring your stomach up into your chest and tie it off. I believe one of our board members Lia813 has had this operation. Check out the "Just wanted to Introduce Myself" thread, she usually resides there. You may want to be periodically scoped with endoscopies if you are prone to acid reflux and a history of the esophageal cancer. Couldn't hurt right? I suffer from acid reflux and plan to get regularly scoped. Good luck.