Thread: Psoriasis
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 AM   #9
(female)

wannahelp HB User
Re: Psoriasis

what kind of shampoo are you using? Nizoral, t-gel are a couple of good ones. Have you noticed any thick patches on your scalp? If so, you need to apply this shampoo and leave it on a few minutes, do it every day. You will suffer bald spots if you do not get these thick scales sloughed off. If you already have some thick patches, you will have a sore, tender, and maybe some bleeding on your scalp once you have sloughed off these scales. Make sure you condition each time, to prevent drying. There are also some prescription shampoos you can get from the dermotologist, but in my personal experience, the tar shampoos and Nizoral (my favorite) work just as good. This is a common problem with the elderly, and this is what I've done in the nursing homes on patients with this problem. Getting it under control is the hardest, but once you've gotten most of the thick scales removed, you have to keep up a regimen of doing this at least three times a week. Also, when there is no signs of tenderness on the scalp, I apply an astringent to help with the itching.