View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: aspergers in teens

The only unfortunate thing about being diagnosed later in life in your teens is that you've missed out on years of opportunity to receive treatment. However, be happy that you have received a diagnosis this early! There are still many years that you can benefit from! I know somewhat how you feel. I don't have Asperger's, but I do have severe OCD (which is now being considered as an autistic spectrum disorder like Asperger's), and I wasn't officially diagnosed until age 17 (I'm 18 now). I started medication for "anxiety" at 15, and KNEW I had OCD from doing research on it starting shortly after I began taking the medication, but I had to suffer an anxiety-ridden, awful childhood and adolescence. Still, I was sooo relieved when I finally was told by a psychiatrist that I did indeed have OCD because it really helps to know what is wrong and that there are treatments avaliable and others out there that are going through the same thing as you. I have some Asperger's traits (not enough to warrant a diagnosis- I feel that they are more attributed to my OCD, if it truly is a form of autism), so if you ever want to talk, I'm here. Good luck, God bless, and write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-