It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

2011 Mommies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: January Babies

We go for our first ultrasound in the morning, very exciting. I've been breaking out into sweats as well, still hoping I won't be getting full blown nausea but we shall see. We are close to 10 weeks now, the time is going so fast!

thebug85, I still stand by ginger ale, I like mine ice cold and find Reed's Ginger Brew to be especially ginger-y, I also like Canada Dry. I also find it helps to just stop moving and even lie down if possible. I hope it gets better for everyone soon!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #32
(female)

dolphin27 HB User

Ok ladies, for a few weeks now I've just been sitting back and praying this nausea will go away, but nothing seems to be working. My only relief seems to be some super cold pepsi. I never put ice in anything, but that is the only way I can drink anything these days. I've tried about everything I can think of to help relieve this. I'm now 9 weeks and I keep telling myself that I can do this for another 4 weeks and hopefully it'll fade away. So this is my second pregnancy and I had no morning sickness the first time around so needless to say I have been asking different kinds of questions to my doctors and am just stunned by the answers. I'm wanting to get your take on these doctor advices.

The first situation was the struggle with getting the prenatal down. The smell and taste on my tongue sent me to the bathroom nearly daily. The doctor advised that I switch to Flintstone Vitamins for the time being. Then when the nausea wears off I can go back to the prenatal. I thought he had lost it, but tried it in desperation. They went down great, the taste was actually kind of good and no problems on the stomach until the next morning. I've never experienced nausea that bad and not be able to get it out.

Second situation was the issue about caffeine. I always thought that was the most important thing to avoid in pregnancy. After discussing the nausea with the doctor, she informed me it's more important to stay away from Aspartame than the caffeine. Also if all I can get down is Coke and twinkies, than that's what I should eat. So needless to say after I got home, I felt like I knew nothing about being pregnant at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

dolphin,

I know it was fourteen years ago, but I took my prenatal vitamins in the evening with chocolate milk, egg nog (it was the season) or a nice large chocolate shake. The crackers in the morning never worked for me--a large glass of cold orange juice (I know "are you kidding") for some reason helped me start my day. I also ate several small meals everyday to help with the nausea, which I had everyday throughout my pregnancy.

Hope this helps

Brenda

Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #34
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Coke and Twinkies?! (hmmm.... thinks about diet modification)

Aww, dolphin, it's horrible to hear you got the nausea so bad! It may not make you feel any better, but morning sickness is linked to healthier baby development /pregnancies! Having an empty stomach can make it a lot worse though, so if there's anything you can force down that'll stay down you may want to try making sure you eat a little something every few hours to keep it from getting worse.

If sweet stuff is working for you then maybe highly digestible fruits, like grapes, watermelon, pineapple, and fruit cocktail?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Hey dolphin ~ I'm so sorry about your morning sickness. It really is the pits. Like you, this is also my second baby and I didn't experience THIS much sickness either! Funny how the second time around is SO completely different. I am just over 12 weeks now and I'm starting to feel really good (knock on wood!!!). The nausea is just about over (YAY!) and I don't feel like a zombie throughout the day anymore...although I'm still happy to take a nap .
I totally agree with your doctor about the food and vitamin situation. I barely gained any weight the first 10 weeks b/c food made me so sick...I just wasn't hungry. Trust me though when I say you WILL get an appetite, lol. Mine is just starting to kick in! I weighed myself yesterday and have found that I've gained 3 lbs in 2 weeks! Makes me nervous for the rest of my pregnancy!
I also take Flinstones, partly b/c they're cheaper and easier to swallow. I supplement with extra folic acid, B12, and fish oil. My doc also said this is fine to do. Trust that you will start feeling better soon!
Mellow ~ How did your ultrasound go??? Did you see/hear the heartbeat? I bet it was awesome! Did you do the first trimester screening to detect for trisomy 18/21? Is that why you had the ultrasound or does your doctor just routinely do one? Sorry, I'm nosey! I'd LOVE to see my little bean floating around right now! But we opted out of the tests.
SO, anyone getting too big for their regular clothes? I've definitely outgrown my regular pants, but maternity stuff is too big still. I'm going out today to find some stretchy pants/capris and t-shirts. All my maternity stuff from dd is too big now b/c I had her in July...go figure!
Take Care ladies!

Last edited by LauraLu; 06-29-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

The nausea is awful but I too have heard it's a good sign of a healthy baby! I also heard the more indigestion you have the more hair your baby will have!! Oh the things we hear, right! Someone told me yesterday I was having a girl because when I approached her she smelled baby powder! I asked "what do you smell if it's a boy??" She said "dirty baby butt!" Weird , huh! It will be funny if she's right!! What are some of the "old wives tales" you all have heard?

I take my prenatal at night after dinner that way my stomach is full. I still have trouble with the vitamin because it has DHA and it leaves a horrible fish taste if I burp. What really helped my nausea too was eating every 2-3 hours. NEVER let your stomach go empty because that's when the nausea is at it's worst. Even if you snack on crackers or twinkies....ha ha! Just don't let too much time go by without putting food in your stomach. I lucked out this pregnancy...I had about 2-3 weeks of nausea and that's it! My first pregnancy I was in the bathroom at work everyday and lost 3 pounds.

Feel good everybody!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
(female)

thebug85 HB User

I know where you are coming from on the morning sickness. I don't think there as been a day in weeks that I am not sick. We went to the dr. last week and heard the babies heartbeat 152 bpm. This is our first baby. I have already outgrown my pants. I have been using a rubber band to button them.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #38
(female)

Estoria HB User

Dolphin,

I know where you are coming from as I have been experiencing something similar. This is my fourth baby and the worst by far. I went off my Diclectin lately and yesterday was my first day completely without it and wow did I regret it. I was nauseus all day long. Nothing appealed to me. Needless to say I went back on my Diclectin by taking two pills last night and I am taking one this morning. As for the prenatal vitamins, I would ask your doctor about Preg-Vit. It is two pills. You take one in the morning and one in the evening. I don't get sick on them at all. Btw I got sick on a pharmacy brand prenatal as well as Materna which didn't bother me in my last pregnancy. Go figure! You can ask your doctor about Diclectin if you want as it might help. I know it has helped me and I don't have any side affects from it except that I was a bit more tired at first. Once my body adjusted though I was fine.

I would also try fruit like mellowfish said. I know that definately helps me. Nice cold, refreshing fruit always sounds good for some reason. Maybe give it a try. If you can get away from the caffeine then you might be better off.

I had the IPS testing done with this pregnancy and it was nice to see my p-nut. I did have gushes of blood though about 2 hours afterwards. I ended up in the ER the same day which was last Thursday. Needless to say my cervix was closed, baby was fine on U/S and there was no evidence of any type of bleed at the U/S that morning. I had a follow-up U/S today so I am hoping and praying they give me some answers as everytime I try to do any activity that requires some walking or work I end up with some spotting on my TP. I hope this isn't how the rest of my pregnancy is going to go. I guess I'll have to wait and find out.

I hope you all have a good day and for those of you not feeling well, are better soon!

Sarah

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #39
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Ah yes the ultrasound... DH and I were in so much awe we were just speechless. First view of the baby, he was dancing for us, it was incredible!! We got to see and hear the heartbeat, and take home some cute pictures. US was done just to date the pregnancy, very routine with the OB I have. I had already had a triple screen done (quad minus HCG levels) before I even knew what the tests were! They want to do it again at some point. I've been thinking we are having a boy since day one, and the US tech is pretty sure too, even tho it's just a "pretty good hunch" this early on .

I know one of the wives' tales is you crave sweet (especially ice cream!) with a girl and sour with a boy. For sure right now I just can't ever eat enough hot pickled okra or kale with lots of vinegar, and the thought of ice cream totally disgusts me, funny thinking there could possibly be truth in this ?

I've actually lost a few pounds since getting preggo, one of these days I am sure I will wake up to find I have nothing that fits my lower half! I am already starved all the time and am only 10 weeks along so far, hopefully it doesn't get much worse or soon I will have time to do nothing but cook and eat.

Last edited by mellowfish; 06-30-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all! That's so great that you are all now hearing/seeing your little ones. It really is so exciting.
We had another appointment today. I will be 14 weeks on Friday. Baby sounds good and still has a strong heartbeat of 160. We go back in four weeks for the triple screen test. Lately it's been making me so nervous. I never worried about these things with my first pregnancy. I also declined the first trimester screening b/c I had heard they're are just too many false positive markers. This test is supposed to be 80% correct though.
I cannot believe that soon we'll go for the BIG ultrasound at 20 weeks...it just seems like it's coming so soon! Even though we aren't finding out the gender, we're still so excited to SEE this little baby! It just makes it so much more real.
How's everyone feeling? Hopefully the sickness is clearing up! Mine is just about gone, but I'm still SOOO tired. I keep praying to feel better soon!
Take Care all!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #41
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Glad to see the thread come back!! I'm 11 weeks now, and feeling fantastic. Getting a huge appetite already, along with "growing pains." Next appt is this Tuesday, hopefully we'll be able to hear baby on the doppler. I think we are going to switch to a midwife, got it narrowed down to a free standing birthing center or a fantastic MW that delivers in the hospital... the hospital policies are going to be the deciding factor.

How is everyone doing? Coming out of the first trimester I hope losing the nausea and energy levels starting to perk up a bit.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #42
(female)

Estoria HB User

Congrats on coming on 14 weeks! I was 14 weeks yesterday so we are only 2 days apart! I can't believe how quickly the time is going! Congrats too on hearing your baby's heartbeat. I have yet to hear mine although I saw it on my last U/S and the technician told me it was 158 beats per min. So, very close to your little one. I have my first OB appt today so I am hoping that I finally get to hear the heartbeat. DH can't come so I am going to see if I can record it on my BlackBerry for him. I never worried either LauraLu with all of my boys. I am not worried now as I had the first U/S test for nuchal translucency and it was below the low risk number.

Yes the U/S at 20 weeks will be so exciting! I am glad your sickness is just about gone. I can totally relate to the tired part although I was partly chalking it up to the Diclectin I am on. I tried to go off of it a week or so ago and that ended not so good. So I went back on it. I am hoping soon I can be off of it for good. I might try next week. I am so glad to hear all your good news

thebug that is soo funny! Hee hee Rubber band girl! Hey at least you are comfy. I haven't seen my regular pants in over a month. 2 more weeks till 16 wks! YAY!

Mellowfish you are soo lucky to have a midwife. I wanted one with my last and they wouldn't let me. I can't have one this time either. So disappointing. Oh well. I hope everyone has a great day

Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey ~ Quick question! Since most of us are starting to "bust out" of our regular pants, are a lot of you doing maternity pants now? I tried the rubber band thing, and it just doesn't work for me. I have to pee way too much, lol.

If you are doing maternity pants, what brand do you think is best? I have a pair of capris, but they just fall off and make my underwear slide down too! Haha! How do I get them to stay up? I've got some stretchy pants and bigger sizes that I've been wearing. The bigger sizes are too big in the butt though and I look like a rag-of-muffin. Any ideas?

Sarah ~ good luck with your appointment today!!! SOOO exciting for you. I wish we had recorded the heartbeat too.

Mellow ~ Glad to see you've got an appetite - just be careful b/c I've gained 4 lbs already .

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Wish I had an answer for you, LauraLu. I have only noticed tightening down low, like in the bottom half of my zipper. I've been losing weight up to this point so now I have more room to grow back into my pants. I have a feeling I am going to be a while to start showing (sigh).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #45
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

Did you try the Bella Band? I have 2 in black and white. It's a thick elastic band/belt that you wear over your pants and your shirt covers it. It's thick enough to accomodate your expanding belly! It helped me survive the "inbetween" stage before I was able to fit into maternity pants. I also wore it as a tube top under dresses that were low cut--helped with my ever expanding chest too!! I highly recommend it. you can get it on-line.

Closed Thread