View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

Nakita HB User
Re: Testicular Cancer in 10 year old nephew

Update on nephew:

We've gone through 2 cycles of chemo now. Jon is doing great...considering. He's lost 3/4 of his hair, but wants it to fall out, not be cut or shaved. He's been in a great mood, eating and playing like a normal 10 y/o boy. He's lost a considerable amount of weight, from 150 lbs, up to 170 (fluid), down to 116. This week at clinic, for checkup and chemo, he was 121. He's eating now, so that will help.

I've contacted several organizations for help. Our local WV Dept of Human Services does reimburse for travel expenses, but they are so far behind, I may not see that reimbursement until next year sometime. In the meantime, I still need cash to pay for gas. We also had a flat tire, and it's impossible to find a 14 inch, 185 tire for a 95 ford tempo in my small town in WV.

My sister-in-law isn't having any financial problems with this diagnosis. In fact, she's applied for SSI for Jon and should have no trouble getting it. She will be getting another $579/mo. I, on the other hand, have lost my unemployment check, since I'm not actively seeking employment. My husband cannot work due to disabilities, that are not qualified under SS. So we have NO income. I still have rent, utilities, food, etc... I do get some foodstamps, and heat assistance, but not enough to pay the bills. My 401 K, that I cashed in, will run out soon. I can't possibly work. I have to be 'on-call' for my SIL and nephew 24/7. I have shut-off notices for water, electric and phone, cable and internet. I am getting desparate.

One of the organizations is giving me a $500 grant, but they don't know when it will be mailed. That will cover one months worth of expenses.

I do not live near a big city. Any suggestions?