View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: For Lenin, Harry or any other statistics monger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
The data I've seen indicates that the risk is about 10 times greater for smokers (not 50%). ... Also, I don't believe that the non-smoking population has anywhere near a 5% chance of getting lung cancer.
When one is discussing the effects of smoking, one should also consider all of the possible smoking-related health problems, not just lung cancer, such as:
  • Bladder cancer
  • Lung disease
  • Mouth cancer
  • Heart disease
  • Pancreas cancer
  • High blood pressure
  • Cervical cancer
  • Stroke
  • Pregnancy complications
  • Kidney cancer
  • Early menopause

For high blood pressure: Among other health problems, high blood pressure can lead to:
  • arteriosclerosis
  • heart attack
  • stroke
  • enlarged heart
  • kidney damage
  • other organ damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone can find hard numbers with specifics on the effects of high blood pressure?
Finding accurate statistics is tough with high blood pressure. When a patient comes in with kidney disease and high blood pressure, or heart failure and high blood pressure, or a stroke and high blood pressure, the exact causes of the health problems are complex are not easily defined.

During my own battle against high blood pressure, I found that, over the years, my health problems gradually got worse during the years that my blood pressure was gradually increasing. When I finally got my blood pressure under control, my health problems significantly got better over a relatively short period of time.

Last edited by Machaon; 11-07-2005 at 03:37 AM.