View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

msmom03 HB User
Re: When would it be time accept you have high BP and need medication?

Hi,

I am new here. I have never had trouble with my bp. But I am having trouble now.

I am not over weight. In fact, I have to struggle to stay at a weight that is acceptable to my doctors. And I am a gymnastic coach and a pilate instructor. I exercise a great deal everyday. In fact, my entire life is built around physical activity.

I tell you this because my blood pressure has no simple solutions. "Exercise and lose ten pounds" is not a statement that doctors can say to me.

My husband has had blood pressure issues since he has been your age. We do not eat salty foods as I have been very strict about watching his diet for him. He watches also. Salt is something that neither one of us even like due to the 15 years or so we have lived without it.

Yet, my blood pressure numbers have been very similar to yours as of late.

What do I do? How do I lower them?

I do worry about my bp. And that tends to add to the problem. Yet, my uncle died at 46 years old because he would not take medication for his blood pressure. Eventually his organs died and so did he. Sad really. He had his own problems, but obesity was not one of them.

For me, the answer is easy. Medication is needed. That is how I feel. I am a bit upset now because I feel I am not be medicated aggressively enough. I have truly been questioning my doctor about that. I see her on Friday for another visit.

There are many things that a person can die from in this world. Many things that hit a life where little control can be grasped. But bp is not one of them to me. I am not going to die from my organs being pounded to death due to my own stubbornness.

I have MS as well as some other complications. I have been on daily medication for years. Taking another pill or two each day does not bother me at all. It is better than living powerlessly under a sentence that has been handed down from one generation to the next in my family.

I love perfection. And I want my organs to sit in my body as perfectly as they can. The thought of sustaining any damage to my organs due to this issue really makes me wiggle with discomfort.

Everyone in my family has bp issues. Even my 21 year old son has a spike here or there. I am sure it will not be long before he is medicated.

My husband, son and I are not large people. We truly watch our diet and our lives are built around activity and action. It doesn't seem fair that we should be dealing with this issue.

But if a medication is going to increase the quality of my life and help me to abtain maximum health, then I am not going to hesitate to take it. That is just my personal thoughts on the subject.

Hope this has been a thought process you can entertain.