View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Do the meds docs prescribe take anxiety/ panic attacks away forever?

Nothing I have taken has ever stopped the anxiety and panic completely for me, but I haven't really given anything a fair chance either. Benzos like Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin don't stop the attacks unless you are taking them several times a day. I woudln't want to do that since they are addictive, so i just take them as needed.

Anti-depressants are more effective for preventing anxiety and panic on a day to day basis but it is sometimes hard to find one that works for you.

I have taken Zoloft and Effexor (neither of which i gave the time to work properly), and now I am taking lexapro. i have been on it for about 3 months. The first month I was virtually anxiety free, but now it has come back again, and I have been panicky almost every day, so I'm not sure if the Lexapro is working for me. I'll give it another month or so (after the holidays) and see how I do. If I am still having anxiety I might go back to the dr and try something else.

My dr. makes me fill out these little mental health quizzes everytime i go in and if I score below a certain percent she says my med probably isn't working. She says when you have found the right med you should not be experiencing severe anxiety, panic or depression ever.