View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Celiac Disease/diet

kelley_bsb,

A gluten-free diet does not mean a low- or no-carb diet. It means finding other carbs to eat besides wheat, rye, barley or oats. There are products labeled "gluten-free" in health-food stores and in some well-stocked supermarkets.

I base my meals on rice, buckwheat, corn, potatoes. My balance of proteins, fats and carbs is basically the same as before I went on a gluten-free diet. I have no problems maintaining my energy for 4-5 hours till the next meal.

Some possibilities to consider:

If your intestines have been damaged from the gluten, you may have cut so much carbs out of your diet that your damaged intestines are no longer getting enough nutrients from calories or vitamins/minerals from the smaller amounts of carbs you are now eating. This should change as your intestine heals.

If you are simply not eating ANY complex carbs (because you don't yet know what else to eat in place of the usual bready things), then you may simply be experiencing low blood sugar. Make sure that each meal includes slow-digesting carbs (potatoes, rice, corn, beans, "grains" such as buckwheat, amarant or quinoa). There are some good websites that give advice on learning about eating new foods and learning to read labels.

Another possibility is that you are eating gluten as one of the "hidden" ingredients in some food. You need to learn to look for the "secret code words" in the ingredients list. Soy sauce is half wheat. Most cornflakes include malt, which comes from barley. Tiny amounts of wheat are listed in many seasoning mixes and sauces. Ground spices often have wheat in them to make them pour more easily and not clump up -- this is not listed in the ingredients list, but you will find this out when you research more about celiac. I buy whole spices and grind my own. Rocquefort cheese is made from mold grown on rye and is listed as a no-no for celiacs.

Perhaps someone else on these boards can suggest some other reasons why you might be having drops in energy. Discuss this with your doctor, and see if you can find a group in your area that has info on celiac. I hope you are able to track down the cause, because having a gluten-free diet *should* give you more energy and health, once your body has had a chance to heal.

--Rheanna