View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: How long before you were diagnosed?

Stedwell:
No offense at all. My idiot Internal Med doctor kept telling me it was hemmorhoids, stress, and the Advil I was taking when I began complaining of rectal bleeding at 28 years old.

It wasn't until 3 years later that I was finally diagnosed, Stage 3C Rectal Cancer. It would have been detected and treated much differently had I been referred when I first complained, or on subsequent visits when I complained more. I guess I was stupid and trusted someone who was supposed to be caring for my health.

Anyway, I know you are worried. However, there is NOTHING you can do to turn back the hands of time. What's done is done. You don't and won't know anything until a colonoscopy is performed. In the mean time, easier said than done, but try not to worry... it's not good for your emotional or physical well-being. IF it is something, you can deal with it later. Try to do some fun things in the mean time to take your mind off the "what if's." We will be right here to help you in the event of this... if not, we're here for that too, and like happy stories sometimes! Please drop us a message and let us know once you have had a colonoscopy. Which, by the way is NOTHING. They give you drugs that puts you in and out of sleep. One of the drugs makes you forget a little... If you want, you can be put out to sleep even deeper, or if you like watching the monitor, you can stay semi to completely awake... your choice.

Again, PLEASE come back and keep us posted. It could be lots of things, but it is definitely time for that colonoscopy. BTW any additional symptoms... bleeding, increased frequency, thin stools?

Regards,
CancerDad