View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
(female)

tigermom710 HB User
Question TT on 2/16/06 - Low Calcium/Pap. Cancer - RAI in April ?

Hello, this is my first post and discovery of this board. Glad to see other people with the same problems.

I had a total thyroidectomy last Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006. This was suppose to be a simple 1-2 days in the hospital. I got out this week on Tuesday, because my Parathyroids stopped functioning and my Calcium level dropped dangerously low. I was on a calcium IV for 5 days. I never new that this could cause a big problem until it hit me. Now I am on Calcium and Vitam D supplements and still feel week. I had a multinodular goiter, with one nodule having Pappilary Microcarcinoma (only 0.33cm) and the thyroid having been very large and had hemorreaged with the largest nodule being 2.5cm x 3cm. No sign of cancer in surrounding tissue. No lymphonodes were taken.

I was told by my doctors that I can not take Synthroid for the next 5 weeks, than get a blood test to see the tsh level being up enough. After that to be in a isolation room for 3 days to receive RAI treatment.

For people wondering how long it can take to recover........just keep in mind that complications can arise. I was also told I can't drive for 1 whole week after release from the hospital. My sick leave has been extended.

What happens to people off from synthroid? I had been taking it for 2 years until now. I plan to go back to work next week (wed) if I get the ok from the doc.

What happens after RAI? Are people out sick for a long time? Does the breast cancer connection have validity?

After reading some posts I feel confused.

Did anyone have sore lymph nodes in the chest/armpit/neck area prior to the surgery? Or earaches? Or something that almost feels like a heart attack? I had all those and wonder how much is related to it, since my heart is in great condition. I ended up in ER 01/20/06 with bad chestpains/neckpains. They couldn't tell me what caused it.

Did anyone have to go back later and get lymphnodes taken out, or is that unnecessary for such a small cancer?

ALSO......I had 2 biopsies, one 2 years ago and 1 last November 2005 - both NEG.........and still had cancer in one nodule!!! Remember, they don't test every cell.

I have a feeling this journey will be a little more complicated than I originally thought.

Thank you for any advise.... & ......... Best of Luck to All.

Marina