View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: TT on 2/16/06 - Low Calcium/Pap. Cancer - RAI in April ?

There are so few good studies on thyroid cancer in general, that the studies on breast-thyroid cancer and what causes breast cancer in general, (which is unknown) were just too tough for me to evaluate. I trusted my doctors and treated aggressively, and I hopefully, I did the right thing. Nodules over 2cm routinely get RAI in the US, but some doctors will do it for any size nodule.

Tigermom--I did have swollen lymph nodes----the doctor removed a couple during my tt because they were enlarged, and they were negative for cancer.

When you are off synthroid, with no thyroid, you will become "hypo"---so you will feel the symptoms like the pp. on this board often do. The RAI itself is not a big deal, you might feel some nausea or headaches the first day or so. But being "hypo" for a while might effect you at work----I did well until week 4, and then it was tough to get around--everyone is different. Once you finish RAI, ask the doctor for some cytomel too, to give you some of the hormones you need to get back to functioning.

You are so lucky you found yours sooo early!