View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Could TMJ cause this?

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with a few questions. About three years ago I had braces. I only had to wear them for around 15 months as my teeth weren't all that bad, there was mainly just some crowding on the bottom. Well when the braces came off I was to wear a plastic retainer on top and a metal one on the lower teeth. I don't know why I was so stupid, but I didn't wear them like I should and before I knew it, I tried to put the retainer in and it wouldn't fit...my teeth aparently had already moved. Stupid, but not a huge deal. Anyway, when I was at the orthodontist getting my fittings for the braces he said I had mild TMJ. I wasn't even really aware of it. Back to the present, a few weeks ago I noticed a knot on the lower gum line, underneath my molars on the right side. It feels like a bone...it is not sticking out through my gums, but if I press on it, it feels just like a bone. I have also today been having an aching pain in my jaw, like right in front of my ear, and it goes down into my jaw. I am not sure what this is. I am too afraid to go to the dentist and ask about the knot on my gums, because I have huge health anxiety and am afraid it's something horrible. By the way, the knot doesn't hurt, it's not red or discolored at all, it's just there. I don't know how long it's been there....it may have just been there as of recent, or it could've been there for a long time and maybe I just didn't notice it. I also notice that I do have a clicking in my jaw on that side when I open and close my mouth sometimes, and I know for sure that I grind my teeth at night. What do you think this could be? I'm scared....