View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #3

clill_IU HB User
Re: Does this sound like Celiac Disease?

I think whenever you begin having symptoms in a particular region of the body, you need to start with the most obvious causes. I began having stomach issues a couple of months ago, and I jumped to Crohn's and Celiac right off the bat. When you look at the number of people who have either one, its extremely rare...although, Celiac is more common than we once thought.

I've been to roughly six different gastros, and I had every test known to man run....all negative. The reality is that 40%+ of people complaining of chronic stomach problems are diagnosed as idiopathic, i.e. no known cause. Most docs firmly believe that lifestyle is a big component, and since I'm an anxiety sufferer, it probably isn't too much of a stretch to say stress is at the root of it. The problem with stress and anxiety is that we all too often ignore the signs. I never saw myself as particularly stressed until one day I realized that I had never sat for one complete meal without getting up to either turn the tv on, make a call, etc.

You'll read alot of posts on this board from people who are offended that a doctor could possibly suggest anxiety or depression is at the core of the problem. However, as I mentioned earlier, these are very very common causes. Where it gets difficult is determining whether the anxiety is a result of the pain, or the other way around.

One bit of advice on the gluten free diet: If you're going to try this, you must go completely gluten free, not simply cutting back on pizzas and pasta. Unfortunately, alot of foods that claim to be made from potatoes or the like, will still contain a bit of gluten. Even the smallest amount will cause your immune system to go haywire. Its much easier to go in to the doc and get a blood test where they test for the three antigens. A few years ago, these tests weren't conclusive, but they have since been refined.

Hope this helps. Don't let it get you down...eventually, you'll figure it out.

Last edited by clill_IU; 04-08-2006 at 06:58 PM.