View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Lupus question of the century

Hi, Deena. I agree with what Rosta04 just wrote. Test results can wax & wane, I've read---and lupus can take years to reach critical mass in some people. Plus I suspect drs. put way too much faith in the ANA result, in particular. I found this one out the hard way, as I was persistently ANA-negative, and it took years of testing for my anti-Ro to come back positive. Yet the findings from my many skin biopsies all said lupus, all along. I was finally Dx'ed with the SCLE "subset" after YEARS of this nonsense.

The tests are what they are---meaning, there's a real art to matching someone up with the "4 of 11" ACR list. To do this properly, a dr. should consider your LIFETIME history, not just what you've got the day you walk in.

I ended up going to a teaching hospital rheumie, believing the practice had seen all kinds of lupus, and all variants, too. So, how long has this being going on for you?

Best wishes, Vee