View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Laur,
Yes flutamide or finasteride, are actual anti-androgens. Whereas, Spiro inadvertantly suppressers the effects of androgens. So if Spiro didn't work for you than flutamide might since it's an actual anti-androgen. It does have a more serious side effect, but that's IF you get the side effects.

What did you come across in your research?

As for the Azelex Cream, I gave away mine so I don't have the ingredients. However I did a search, does your box list these ingredients?

AZELIAC ACID 20%, cetearyl octanoate, glycerin, glyceryl stearate and cetearyl alcohol-- 2 and cetyl palmitate and cocoglycerides, PEG-5 glyceryl stearate, propylene glycol and purified water. Benzoic acid is present as a preservative.

I don't know if this is the one you are using but this is one list that I found. According to this and Sage's List, there really isn't anything to worry about. I did place the level of comedegenicity next to the ingredient though.

Here's another form of Azelex in a gel base though:

FINACEA GEL = 15% Azeliac Acid, aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

So if something is aggrevating you in the above formula and it's not the azeliac acid, maybe you can find this one. All I know is that the first time I used this I LOVED it and went back to it 2 years later and I started to breakout (chest too). So I stopped and the breakouts disappeared. Then I purchsed 2 skin lightening formulas, one that had the most simplest of ingredients and they both broke me out...which is a shame because they worked really good. So perhaps the azeliac is just "purging" I don't particularly like that side effect so I'm staying away from it in future lightening products.

HTH

[This message has been edited by SweetJade1 (edited 07-05-2003).]