Thread: Gabapentin
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
(male)

linkin01 HB User
Re: Gabapentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam338
In 2003 a new study funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases measuring the effectiveness of GABAPENTIN, an anticonvulsant medication, in reducing symptoms of fibromyalgia syndrome. It is a neurotin drug used primarily in epilepsy. However, it is also prescribed for secondary conditions such as menopause hotflashes.

Has anyone here tried it or know someone who has; results? Negatives? Dependency risks? Thanks for ANY info on it.
I use it and it is wonderful. It gives enormous pain reduction and I can actually sleep for the first time in years. It also cured my restless legs syndrome.

I had a bit of sleepiness when I first took it, but that completely wore off. I got sleepiness at first on the lowest does (300 mg), but I was able to steadily increase the dosage and got less and less sleepiness. Weird. Now I'm on 4800 mg! That's right, 4800. For me the restless legs cure and sleep didn't really improve until I got way up there past 4000.

I have ZERO side effects. My pyschiatrist says it is a very clean mediation and doesn't interact with other medications. It's very safe.

The only problem is that I have to take it 4x/day because it has a very short half life. I set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to take it, so I will feel okay in the morning. So that's annoying.

I don't know if there is a dependency risk. I know that I start to hurt pretty bad if I don't get to take it on schedule.

Mike

Last edited by linkin01; 05-16-2006 at 01:58 AM.