View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

stephanie867 HB User
Thyroid nodules, can they shrink on their own?

My doctor found a complex nodule (28mm) in my thyroid. I had the ultrasound done, radioactive uptake and also the FNA biopsy. Came back as benign. My doctor told me to do nothing, and see what happens in 6 months. I wasn't comfortable with that and went to an endo. Really nice lady, and she's been an endo for a long time (20+ years).

I'm not hypo nor hyper thyroid. My levels came back normal. My only health issue is that I have trouble with anxiety and panic attacks, and have for about 18 years now.

The endo wants to put me on synthroid to see if it will shrink the nodule. She said it will most likely make me hyperthyroid until my body gets used to it. I've had my anxiety under control for the last 3 months and don't want to go there again.

So, I've read a ton of articles, visited a bunch of boards and couldn't find any instances where thyroid nodules have shrunk by someone using synthroid.

However, I DID find a few articles that said if a nodule is going to shrink it will do so on it's own and also found a couple of people who've been to spiritual healers and actually had their thyroid nodules disappear (I don't know if I'm ready to go that route yet...).

So, I guess I'm asking...has anyone had a thyroid nodule shrink on it's own? Or if you took synthroid, did it help?

Thanks for any info!

Stephanie