View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User
Red face Tourettes disorder question??-sorry if its wrong board

Hey i wasnt sure what board to post this on sorry. does ne1 here have tourettes or know alot about it. i just wanted to ask a few questions. ive always had weird 'habits' as my parents call them. its sort of a standing joke in our family, the phases and strange things ive always done.

i have strange movements that i do wiithout warning or control. i mean if i realise im doing it i can stop, but i feel like i cant really cos i dnt want to at times. if i try and stop i do it like compensation, i have to do it over and over or a longer period of time.

wen i was younger my head and neck wud move from side to side, i didnt always notice i was doing it much until i got a sore neck from doing it. other times i just felt like i 'HAD' to do it. i cudnt stop myself. even if i was in public, sitting with a teacher or polite company, sumhow i had to get it out and wud twitch weird. ive also always since i can remember had very exessive blinking, sumtimes repeative fast motions, other times slow and very hard were they stay closed for a second-this looks strange and pple have asked what is wrong with my eyes. also, all my joints have to be jerked or cracked sumtimes, and for the past year or so my hands randlomly shake like theyre tense but theyre actually not. sumtimes i find myself having to go from right to left, i dont know im doing it alot but if i do catch myself in the motion i can stop, then a few minutes or seconds later im back at it. i was talking with my brother one day wen he suddenly stopped mid sentence and asked what the hell i was doing with my hands. i looked sideways and realised i was holding my whole arm out and it was shaking like a dead hand.

i also have muscle spasms inside me, i tense and contract muscles, like my instep muscles must go from right to left. wen i was young also i had a thing were id make noises thru my throat, i wasnt pretending to be an animal or nething i just wud squeak every minute or so(usually well hidden tho), or my voice wud go in different tones. id also have this thing were id cough (but not actually needing to), over and over, it drove my parents up the wall.

i was just curious as i recently read about tourettes and i seemed to match an awful lot of things. i wudnt think much of it only-r these movements weird, like does every1 else do spasms ans stuff, is it just people tensing there muscles and thats normal. recently tho, ive bin tense my neck muscles, and jerk my head, i shake it sumtimes(god that must look weird!), my jaw has to move out and crack now too, and i found it very hard to sleep the other nite cos everytime i did i kept jerking and it got painful or uncomforatble. sumtimes pple ask what im doing with my eyes, or there are polite pple who say nuthing. its not vastly noticiable but i know its happening. my parents just laff and roll their eyes at me, but they did used to shout at me to stop it that i looked like a freak. to ne1 who knows, shud i c about this or what shud i do. if i understood it i think id be ok and move on. but is other pple like this?