View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

alohalissa HB User
Asperger's Syndrome and anxiety

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I have been officially diagnosed with (deep breath) GAD, Major Depression, Social Phobia and Asperger's Syndrome. I also have some aspects of OCD, hypochondria and SAD. For those of you who have never heard of it, Asperger's Syndrome (AS) is on the spectrum of autism. Those of us with AS usually have normal or above normal IQs. It usually manifests as an inability to understand how to interact socially. I believe that having AS is why I suffer from severe anxiety and depression. I've never had a clue how to interact normally with people, even as a very young child, and this has led to making a lot of mistakes and very bad relationships, creating a vicious circle of stress and worry and depression. Argh.

I'm very heartened by this board, and because of another thread here I ordered some stuff by Claire Weekes from Amazon.

It's great to be able to read what others are going through and to also give my input. It helps to put it in perspective, even though I often feel like my life sucks more than anyone else's. But I'm probably not alone in that thought, either.